Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Tradition



There seem to be two distinct camps regarding acceptable holiday food protocol: those who believe that tradition is sacred and would prefer to eat the familiar Thanksgiving menu they grew up with, and those who like to experiment with new dishes every year. The staunchly traditional bunch seem to be a lot more prevalent and a lot more vocal.

I'm pretty sure I fall in the second category. I love family traditions and, yes, there are a handful of holiday foods that I look forward to all year and wouldn't dream of ousting (Mom's braided onion bread anyone?), but I also recognize that much of my cooking pleasure derives from trying new things- new processes, new flavor combinations, the ever-present thrill of possible failure... The risks certainly increase when experimenting with unfamiliar dishes, but so do the chances of stumbling your way into food nirvana.

So, what do you think? Is it wise to experiment with your Thanksgiving menu on an already high-stress cooking day, or are you better off sticking to well-vetted standbys? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

P.S. The heavenly dessert pictured above is this pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust that I discovered several years ago when we decided to buck the traditional pumpkin pie. Now the cheesecake has become our new tradition. A perfect example of experimentation being oh-so worth it...


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy! I'm a little more on the traditional side. But when I married the hubs he came with some very Delicious family recipes of his own and sooo good!

    xo, Jenna

    http://jennacody.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A man who comes with delicious recipes? Definitely a keeper. :)

      Delete
  2. OH-MY-GOD if it tastes as good as it looks it must be heaven!!!!!!!!
    I love pumpkin! I love cheese cake! and I love trying new recipes :)
    I live in Spain so Thanksgiving is not a tradition here but I lived in the US for a short period of time and I think it's a great time of the year :)
    I am posting about pasta with pumpkin sauce today and last week I posted about a super delicious pumpkin & nutella loaf :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, you had me at nutella loaf! It looks amazing. Your site is lovely- and it'll be great for dusting off my rusty Spanish skills!

      P.S. The cheesecake definitely tastes as good as it looks. Did I mention marshmallow sour cream topping? Yeah.

      Delete